CAMPUS AND COMMUNITY RESOURCES

  
Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL)
  Classic Center
  Classroom and Laboratory Facilities
  Georgia Museum of Art
  Golf Course
  Libraries
  Performing Arts Center
  Ramsey Student Center for Physical Activities
  Office of Research Services
  State Botanical Garden of Georgia
  State of Georgia Museum of Natural History
  UGA Alumni Association Student Membership
  University Bookstore
  University of Georgia Center for Continuing Education


Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL)

Director: Dr. Nelson Hilton, 542-1355
Associate Director: Dr. Jay Harriman, 542-1582
CTL is a unit within Academic Affairs devoted to the advancement of instruction at the University. CTL is advised by a committee of the University Teaching Academy and reports to the Vice President for Instruction. The central mission of CTL is to provide campus-wide leadership on matters relating to instruction.

The programs, services, and activities of CTL are clustered within six major areas:

To the Top


Classic Center

A community civic and convention center complex, the Classic Center on the east end of downtown Athens features a historic fire hall as its architectural centerpiece. The facility includes a banquet/meeting hall, exhibit hall, plazas, and a performing arts theater.

To the Top


Classroom and Laboratory Facilities

Almost 720 rooms support the classroom and laboratory instruction at the University of Georgia. A small number of large lecture halls combine with general classrooms, specialized classrooms, class laboratories, and a few assembly halls to provide a vast array of instructional support facilities. Another 1400 rooms house non-instructional laboratory activities.

The traditional science laboratories are located primarily on south campus in buildings known as the Science Center Complex--six buildings that house the biological sciences, chemistry, physics, geology, geography, food science, and animal sciences. All of the buildings have well-equipped laboratories for instruction and research programs. In addition, a new Life Sciences building houses research and instructional space for the biochemistry and genetics departments.

In addition to the Science Center and the Life Sciences Building, well-equipped laboratories are available throughout the campus for departmental instruction and research programs including those in the College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences in Conner Hall, The College of Family and Consumer Sciences in Dawson Hall and Spiers Hall, and the Robert C. Wilson School of Pharmacy, the D.B. Warnell School of Forest Resources, and the College of Veterinary Medicine, each in its own building.

Modern instructional techniques require modern equipment. In many classrooms, state-of-the-art technology is used to illustrate and demonstrate instructional concepts. In most buildings, computer laboratories are available to students either in an open access environment or in support of specific courses. In some buildings, both types of computer laboratories are available to the student. The Terry College of Business and other disciplines which utilize the case-style method of teaching generally utilize case-style classrooms. The Henry W. Grady College of Journalism and Mass Communication maintains radio and television studios in addition to other modern electronic communications laboratories.

To the Top


Georgia Museum of Art

The Georgia Museum of Art was established in 1945 when Alfred H. Holbrook donated his collection of 100 American paintings to the University of Georgia. The museum opened in the basement of the university library in 1948 on north campus, and took over the entire building in the early 1950s when a new library was constructed. A new museum building, located at 90 Carlton Street in the Performing and Visual Arts Complex on East Campus, opened in April 1996.

In the years since Holbrook's original gift, the permanent collection has grown by gift and acquisition to approximately 8,000 works of art. These works include 19th- and 20th-century American paintings, a Kress Study Collection of Italian Renaissance paintings, an extensive collection of prints and drawings by American, European, and Japanese masters, and a growing decorative arts collection.

The museum presents a schedule of changing exhibitions from the permanent collection and private and public collections as well as special traveling exhibitions from the United States and other countries. Lectures, gallery talks, film series, family days, and other events are scheduled to complement these exhibitions. Museum tours and special viewings of works in the permanent collection are available for university classes by request.

The Georgia Museum of Art was designated the Official State Museum of Art by the 1982 Session of the Georgia General Assembly. Partial support for the exhibitions and programs at the Georgia Museum of Art is provided by the Georgia Council for the Arts through the appropriations of the Georgia General Assembly and the National Endowment for the Arts. Hours are: Closed Mondays; Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday: 10:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.; Wednesday: 10:00 a.m.-9:00 p.m.; Sunday: 1:00-5:00 p.m.; closed on legal holidays. Admission is free.

The Museum Shop, which offers an array of art-related gift items, cards, posters, and books is open Tuesday through Saturday 10:00 a.m.-4:45 p.m.; Wednesday: 10:00 a.m.-9:00 p.m.; Sunday: 1:00-4:45 p.m.

To the Top


Golf Course

The University of Georgia Golf Course is a Robert Trent Jones layout which exhibits architectural trends that emerged in the 1960s and continued to influence golf courses built in the 1990s.

The golf course is physically demanding, not only because of the hilly land, but because it is a typical Jones design; everything is BIG! The layout requires a lot of carry-on approach shots; it is not a bump-and-run golf course. Mounding around the greens helps keep the ball in play, improves drainage, and provides visual definition of the hole. The greens provide a variety of pin settings and a challenge on every putt.

Although the University of Georgia Golf Course is owned by the University of Georgia, it is totally self-supporting. It is operated under the auspices of Auxiliary Services and receives no tax support. The golf course fulfills the needs of the students, staff, alumni, and other guests by providing timely service and facilities at the lowest possible price. The University Golf Course supports a collegiate golf program, hosts competitions, and serves the community and its guests. The Board of Regents requires that funds collected from this enterprise be used to provide the best possible facilities without subsidy or support from general University funds.

If you have questions about the course, please call (706) 369-5739 or visit the Web site at www.golfcourse.uga.edu.

To the Top


Libraries

The UGA Library is the largest university library in the State of Georgia. It is a member of the prestigious Association of Research Libraries consisting of the largest research libraries in North American and ranks in the top third of these libraries.

The Libraries contain more than 4.5 million books, serials and documents, and many other items, including manuscripts, photographs, drawings, and newspapers. The map collection incorporates over 611,828 items and the microform collection numbers more than 6.5 million. The collections support the curricular and research needs of the campus and are available to library users both on the campus and across the state.

The amount and variety of resources offered by the Libraries through the Internet continues to grow. In addition to the Libraries’ catalog, more than 370 databases, nearly 34,466 fulltext journals and more than 27,400 books are available electronically. The Libraries also are creating special resources by digitizing important documents. These and many other resources are available on the Libraries’ web site (www.libs.uga.edu) and through GALILEO, the statewide electronic library (www.galileo.peachnet.edu).

The UGA Libraries include three facilities on campus: the Main Library, the Science Library, and the Miller Learning Center, which opened in 2003 and combines 26 general instructional classrooms with a state-of-the-art Electronic Teaching Library. Designed specifically for undergraduate students, the 200,000-square-foot structure has more than 2,000 connections for laptop computers, 500 computers for accessing the world wide web and software packages. Librarians offer professional research assistance, including a staffed reference desk, on-line chat with reference librarian and phone and email services.

An outstanding feature of the Main Library is the Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, a repository of rare and priceless materials. Among the collections are the Margaret Mitchell, the original Confederate Constitution, an outstanding Georgiana collection, an extensive collection of rare stamps, and many historical manuscripts.

The Richard B. Russell Library for Political Research and Studies is located on the west side of the Main Library. The Russell Library is the only repository in Georgia directed solely toward support of scholarly research in modern political history, and it is the first repository to document modern politics and policy development in the Southeast. Given the scope and content of its collections, the Library far exceeds the importance of presidential libraries, which only document a four to eight-year administration of one person, and it has long served as a model for others collecting congressional collections. Some of the significant holdings, in addition to the Russell collection, are the papers of Secretary of State Dean Rusk; Undersecretary of Agriculture J. Phil Campbell; U. S. Senators Herman E. Talmadge, Mack Mattingly, Hoke Smith, and Thomas Hardwick; U. S. Representatives Dudley M. Hughes, Howard H. “Bo” Callaway, Williamson S. Stuckey, Sanford Bishop, Johnny Isakson; as well as governors, state legislators and officials, and political activists and commentators. The Library is also the repository for the records of the state Democratic and Republican parties, the Georgia Public Policy Foundation, Leadership Georgia, and the ACLU Chapter of Georgia. These highly regarded collections from individuals and organizations involved in politics and public policy are widely used by local, national, and international researchers.

The Walter J. Brown Media Archive and Peabody Awards Collection is available through the Media Department in the Main Library. It contains entries to the renowned Peabody Awards, founded in 1940, as well as other programs that have been deposited over the years. With over 90,000 radio and television programs dating back to 1940, this collection offers special opportunities to explore the history and culture of the past 60 years as recorded by the broadcasting media.

The Digital Library of Georgia is a gateway to Georgia's history and culture found in digitized books, manuscripts, photographs, government documents, newspapers, maps, audio, video, and other resources.

Special services for students include orientation to the libraries’ services and collections; individual reference conferences for persons undertaking major research papers; individual stations for audio and video materials, over 100 computer workstations, and reproduction equipment.

For additional information on Libraries collections and services, contact the Office of the University Librarian, University of Georgia, Athens, GA, 30602, (706) 542-0621, (www.libs.uga.edu).

To the Top


Performing Arts Center

The Performing Arts Center, a magnificent facility located within the University's Performing and Visual Arts Complex on East Campus, houses two music recital halls: Hugh Hodgson Concert Hall is named for the founder of the UGA School of Music and seats 1,100 in a festival-style setting where seats surround the stage; Ramsey Concert Hall is the smaller venue seating 360 and is named in honor of the late Bernard Ramsey, a major benefactor of the University. Both halls boast superb acoustics and state-of-the art recording systems.

The Performing Arts Center serves as a showcase for world-class performers and ensembles such as pianist Andre Watts, violinist Midori, the Vienna Choir Boys, and the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra. It also provides a home for UGA's faculty and student performers.

For further information, contact the Performing Arts Center at 706-542-4400, or visit the Website at www.uga.edu/pac.

To the Top


Ramsey Student Center for Physical Activities

The Ramsey Student Center for Physical Activities encompasses 430,000 square feet and includes five gymnasia, three swimming pools, three multi-purpose rooms, a climbing wall, ten racquetball courts, two international squash courts, strength and conditioning rooms, an 1/8-mile track, an outdoor equipment rental room, and an outdoor resource center. Facilities at the Ramsey Center are available to University of Georgia students, staff, faculty, and their dependents for the appropriately assessed fee. The Ramsey Student Center hours of operation are available at www.recsports.uga.edu and by calling 706-542-5060.

To the Top


Office of Research Services

The Office of Research Services (ORS)(http://www.ors.uga.edu), a division of the Office of the Vice President for Research (OVPR)(http://www.ovpr.uga.edu) provides a spectrum of products and services to assist students, faculty, and staff in laboratory, office, and classroom facilities. ORS service units include:

Campus Scientific Stores
CSS (http://www.css.uga.edu) and CSS Express provide scientific supplies and apparatus to teaching and research laboratories at two convenient locations.

Central Research Stores
CRS (http://www.crs.uga.edu) is a large warehousing and issuing facility that stocks research and teaching supplies and equipment and is the sole procurement source for all chemical purchases on the Athens campus.

Chemical Analysis Facility
Chemical Analysis Facility (http://www.cal.uga.edu) offers state-of-the art analytical techniques and support services, including analysis of metals, elements, nutrients, organic carbon, and cations in a wide variety of samples.

Glass Blowing Shop
The Glass Blowing Shop (http://www.glass.uga.edu) creates a variety of standard and one-of-a-kind glass items and modifies commercial glassware for use in research projects.

Instrument Shop
The Instrument Shop (http://www.ishop.uga.edu) can design, fabricate, repair or modify new or existing equipment and machinery.

Integrated Biotechnology Laboratories
IBL (http://www.ibl.uga.edu) provides a range of laboratory services for genetics and proteomics research through three sister facilities: Functional Genomics Instrumentation Facility, Proteomics Resource Facility, and Sequencing & Synthesis Facility.

Research Computing Center
The Research Computing Center (RCC) (http://www.rcc.uga.edu), collaboration between ORS and EITS (http://www.eits.uga.edu), provides high performance computing hardware and network infrastructure, as well as consulting and training services in pursuit of its mission.

Research Media
Research Media (http://www.media.uga.edu) is an on-campus source for a variety of visual services, including graphic design and illustration, presentation and display assistance, digital photography, and web support.

TEC Services
Telecommunications, Electronics, and Computer (TEC) Services (http://www.tec.uga.edu) provides prompt, professional telecommunications cabling installation, electronics equipment maintenance, and computer and related peripherals repair.

To the Top


State Botanical Garden of Georgia

The State Botanical Garden of Georgia is a public, non-profit, educational facility under the auspices of the University of Georgia. The mission is to foster appreciation, understanding, and stewardship of plants and nature through research, collections and displays, horticultural gardens, and educational programs.

The garden is located at 2450 South Milledge Avenue, one mile south of the Athens South Bypass (U.S. 129/441). Founded in 1968, the garden now encompasses over 300 acres, much of which borders the Middle Oconee River. The garden features a number of specialty gardens and collections plus five miles of nature trails. The Day Chapel is available for weddings and other special events. The Visitor Center/Conservatory features a permanent display of tropical and semitropical plants along with classrooms, offices, a gift shop, and a cafe which serves lunch daily. The garden is open daily from 8 a.m. to dusk. The Visitor Center/Conservatory is open Monday through Saturday from 9 a.m. To 4:30 p.m. and on Sundays from 11:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., excepting certain holidays. For more information, call (706) 542-1244.

To the Top


State of Georgia Museum of Natural History

Director: Dr. Byron J. Freeman, (706) 542-1663
The Georgia Museum of Natural History contains the most extensive collection of Georgia natural history artifacts and specimens and is one of the largest natural history museums in the Southeast. It ranks within the top 50 in the nation in terms of the size of its collections and the scope of its research and service programs. The museum comprises twelve separate collection areas: Archaeology Collection (3.5 million artifacts), Botany Herbarium (200,000 plant specimens), Arthropod Collections (1.3 million+ pinned insects, 200,000+ alcohol-preserved insects), Geology Collections (10,000 economic geology ore specimens, 10,000 mineral specimens, and 10,000 invertebrate and vertebrate fossils), Julian H. Miller Mycological Herbarium (25,000 fungi), Pollen and Plant Microspores Laboratory (a worldwide collection of fossil pollen samples), Zooarchaeology Collection (4,800 comparative reference skeletons), Herpetology (50,000+ specimens), Ichthyology (500,000+ specimens), Invertebrates (50,000+ specimens), Mammalogy (27,000 specimens), and Ornithology (5,200 specimens).

The Museum's collections are crucial to quality education in over 50 specialized graduate and undergraduate courses in the natural sciences at the University. The educational role of the Museum extends well beyond the campus. Each year the Museum provides loans of educational materials and access to its collections to other institutions and the individuals within the University System, primary and secondary schools, and state agencies. Also, through specialized educational programs, lecture series, and short courses, the Museum reaches thousands of individuals and groups throughout Georgia each year.

To the Top


UGA Alumni Association Student Membership

As a Student Member, you can enjoy the same benefits as Alumni Association members! Receive invitations to local Alumni Association activities, enjoy local and national discounts, plus find out about great student programs: First Friday; Dinner with 12 Strangers; Ring Week; Founders' Day; Student Advisory Council; 100 Days; Spring Graduation Celebration; UGA Night@Six Flags; Official Ring Ceremony; Senior Trip; and MORE!

Become a member today by visiting us on the Web at http://www.alumni.uga.edu/alumni/membership.html, or call (706) 542-2251 and ask about student membership.

To the Top


University Bookstore

The University Bookstore offers a bright, contemporary atmosphere featuring spacious aisles, well-stocked shelves, and expedient check-out lanes. Designed to serve the students, faculty, and staff of the University, the store maintains a complete stock of all course-related supplies and textbooks, new and used, as well as a large inventory of general reading books. Visitors to the store will also find a wide selection of University of Georgia fashion apparel and gift items, snacks, sundries, and campus life accessories. Located next to the Tate Student Center and across from Sanford Stadium, the Bookstore is open Monday through Thursday, 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.; Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.; and Saturday, 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. For more information, log on to www.bookstore.uga.edu.

To the Top


University of Georgia Center for Continuing Education

See the
Special Services and Facilities section for information about the University of Georgia Center for Continuing Education.

To the Top