Minor - Studio Art
The Minor in Studio Art:
- A minor must contain at least 9 hours of upper division course work.
- Courses taken to satisfy Core Areas I through V may not be counted as course work in the minor.
- Courses taken in Core Area VI may be counted as course work in the minor.
The minor in Studio Art provides students with the opportunity to integrate creative and artistic practice with other academic or research pursuits. Students selecting the minor in Studio Art are not necessarily pursuing careers as practicing professional artists; rather they are seeking a unique program of study where the visual arts and creativity provide desirable skills.
- Required for graduation: No
- Credit hours required: A minimum of 15 hours of minor courses, plus 9 hours of prerequisite courses
- Transfer credit hours allowed: A maximum of 6 (with LDSOA approval)
- Overlap with the major: Not allowed. The minor must be in a different subject than the major. The same courses cannot count in the minor and in the major.
- Grades required: Minimum C for a course to be accepted as a prerequisite and to be counted towards the minor.
- Course work graded Pass/Fail cannot count towards the minor.
- Approval required: Studio Minor Program application sheet indicates if the minor course work must be approved by the LDSOA undergraduate advising office and area of emphasis area head.
Undergraduates who wish to minor in Studio Art must first complete three prerequisite courses (9 hours), successfully pass the LDSOA Porfolio Review, and have on file in the LDSOA Advising Office an approved Studio Minor Program application form.
ARST 1060 OR ARST 1080
ARHI 2300 OR ARHI 2400 or equivalent as determined by Art History area chair.
The review is offered at the end of every fall, spring, and summer semester. Before taking the review, students must have completed ARST 1050 and either ARST 1060 or ARST 1080 (or their equivalents). Successful completion of the review results from both a judgment of the art work submitted and grades of C or better in all art courses required for the minor.
Required Courses (15 hours)
The Studio Art minor consists of 5 courses or 15 credit hours from any courses below, across areas of concentration (there is no guarantee that all minor courses can be taken in one area of concentration):
Two 2000-level courses (6 hrs.) (One 1000-level course and one 2000-level course may be taken with special permission of the school.)
Three courses (9 hrs.) must be at the 3000 level or above.
Note: All students must complete prerequisites before enrolling in a course.
Art X: Expanded Forms
Jewelry and Metalwork
Painting and Drawing
TOTAL HOURS: 15
For more information about minor course work, contact
LDSOA Advising Office