A minor must contain 15 to 18 semester hours of course work, with at least 9 hours of upper division course work (numbered 3000 or above). Courses taken to satisfy Core Areas I through V may not be counted as course work in the minor. Courses taken in Core Area VI may be counted as course work in the minor. The intent of establishing minor fields of study is to offer students the opportunity to broaden their education through the minor field. The selection of a minor field of study should be made to fulfill this goal.

The department shall make available to students the requirements for the minor--the total number of hours required, along with the enumeration of any particular courses that are mandated or excluded, residency requirements (if any) for the minor courses, and grade requirements for minor courses if those requirements differ from the general University standard for credit (a D as the minimum passing grade).

A student may select a minor in consultation with his or her advisor. The student may then consult an advisor in the minor field who can inform the student of remaining requirements for the minor. When the student has met the requirements for the minor, the advisor in the minor field will then certify that fact to the student's dean. The completed minor will be recorded on the student's permanent transcript, but not on the diploma. For students completing a minor after graduation, the statement shall appear on the transcript in chronological order following the courses taken subsequent to graduation. A student must be enrolled at the time a minor is approved by the University Council, or subsequent to that date, to receive credit for the minor. A student may have more than one minor.

Select a Minor:

Majors Home - Minors Listing

Minor - Political Science

  • A minor must contain at least 9 hours of upper division course work.
  • Courses taken to satisfy Core Areas I through V may not be counted as course work in the minor.
  • Courses taken in Core Area VI may be counted as course work in the minor.
  • Courses must be completed with a grade of "C" (2.0) or higher.
Students must take a total of 15 hours. At least 6 hours must be in each of the following fields in the minor:

Theory and Method:
POLS 3000 or POLS 3000E
POLS 3010
POLS 3100H
POLS 3220
POLS 3230
POLS 4010 or POLS 4010E
POLS 4020 or POLS 4020E
POLS 4030
POLS 4040
POLS 4045
POLS 4060
POLS 4070
POLS 4071 or POLS 4071E
POLS 4072
POLS 4073
POLS 4080
POLS 4090 or POLS 4090H
POLS 4150 or POLS 4150H
POLS 4155
POLS 4156E
POLS 4190 or POLS 4190H
POLS 4641

American Studies:
POLS 3600
POLS 3610
POLS 4105 or POLS 4105H
POLS 4110
POLS 4400 or POLS 4400E or POLS 4400H
POLS 4410 or POLS 4410H
POLS 4420 or POLS 4420E
POLS 4510
POLS 4515 or POLS 4515H
POLS 4520/6520 or POLS 4520H
POLS 4525
POLS 4530 or POLS 4530H
POLS 4540 or POLS 4540H
POLS 4541
POLS 4550
POLS 4551 or POLS 4551E
POLS 4555
POLS 4560
POLS 4565
POLS 4570
POLS 4575
POLS 4600
POLS 4605 or POLS 4605H
POLS 4610/6610 or POLS 4610H
POLS 4615 or POLS 4615H
POLS 4620E
POLS 4625 or POLS 4625H
POLS 4635
POLS 4640 or POLS 4640H
POLS 4641
POLS 4645E
POLS 4650
POLS 4660
POLS 4665
POLS 4690 or POLS 4690E or POLS 4690H
POLS 4700 or POLS 4700E or POLS 4700H
POLS 4705
POLS 4707R
POLS 4710 or POLS 4710E or POLS 4710H
POLS 4720 or POLS 4720E
POLS 4730
POLS 4740 or POLS 4740E or POLS 4740H
POLS 4750
POLS 4760
POLS 4770
POLS 4780 or POLS 4780H
POLS 4781
POLS 4790 or POLS 4790H
POLS 4900 or POLS 4900S
SOCI 4500

Three hours may come from any POLS at the 2000 level or higher or INTL or PADP courses at the 3000 level or higher. Nine hours must be completed in residence.


For more information about minor course work, contact:

Paul Welch
103 Candler Hall
(706) 542-4114